Thursday, December 15, 2011

This may be the first graffiti book I purchased

Burning New York      James T. and Karla Murray    2006
ISBN [13 digit]  9781584231738
First printed in the United States


I never thought there would be so many damn published works of graffiti and documenting it with information that corresponds in kind to the context of the art & artist.  Holla (nice!).  This may not be my actual first purchase but it doesn't matter.  It feels like my first book because the guy who showed me this book actually inspired me to start collecting graff books.  We were both graffiti writer's when we met, he from Paris and I from the ever oh so exciting San Diego.  He actually had a few other graff books that he shared with me and man did I feel so left out that I did not own one of these gems.  Keep in mind this was a good few years ago before I would ever doubt the need for print.  Anyhow it truly was the start of two great affairs that will permeate my soul till the very dear end.  His total lovely other worldliness and even better . . my book collection on graffiti.

Contemporary graffiti in New York City.  Not particularly an in depth chronological historical account of this art which is commonly agreed upon as originating out of NYC.  It has lots of fantastic color images of pieces conducted by writers representing the 2005ish era through now: Short interviews from the various artists are included.  TAGS are crucial to the foundation of style in graffiti.  No sweat the bulk of content in this book is filled with sweet lovely eye candy of graff from NYC but I came from the old school and feel compelled to give it up to my original chaos theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment